At a market size of $5 trillion, retailers have one of the largest information security risk surface areas. With millions of customers using credit cards, web- and mobile-accessible shop fronts, plus wireless networks at brick and mortar stores, and extensive, interconnected supply chains, retailers are more than ever in the crosshairs of every cyber-criminal.
Retailers love Big Data. It helps them understand customer buying patterns and demographics, manage loyalty programs, bring in new product offerings, and most importantly, stay ahead of competitors. To give customers a more personal shopping experience, retailers will use one or more of these tactics:
- Analyzing customer shopping patterns and capitalizing on them to increase sales.
- Storing huge amounts of customer data to support the deep-dive analytics.
- Providing convenient shopping experiences via mobile apps and web stores.
- Integrating more effectively with the retail supply chain to ensure they have the ‘right’ merchandise, and in the right quantities.
- Adopting handheld scanners and card readers to speed customer service and improve the shopping experience.
- Operating loyalty and gift programs that use indigenous store-cards, gift-cards or co-branded cards.
- Data breaches – preventing, detecting, and responding to cyber-attacks.
- Vulnerabilities – detecting and managing application, network and system/device vulnerabilities.
- GRC – managing the governance, risk management and compliance programs and ensuring compliance with state privacy requirements, security best practices and PCI DSS.
- Vendor risk – managing and exchanging information with multiple vendors and suppliers.
- Data Protection – We help protect client data by identifying and classifying sensitive data, and protecting both unstructured and structured data. We also help retailers manage data leakage incidents. Read more
- Security Intelligence – We work with our clients to provide actionable intelligence that supports security decisions. We collate, analyze, correlate and visualize security events and logs from diverse IT systems and applications. Read more
- Threat Management – We help our retail clients identify and manage threats using our vulnerability management lifecycle framework. We help in assessing and mitigating Advanced Persistent Threats and evaluating people behavior risks using our Phishnix solution. Read more
- Risk & Compliance Management – We design, develop and manage retail security compliance programs, including GRC frameworks, and GRC framework automation using RSA Archer. We also help manage vendor risks, and achieve compliance with legal and regulatory requirements such as PCI DSS, state privacy requirements, ISO27001, SOX, and HIPAA. Read more
We assist our retail clients in effectively protecting their data, managing security incidents and vulnerabilities, and governing their risk and compliance programs. Find out more about our:
The retail industry depends on data and protecting it is of prime importance. Retailers’ data has privacy and financial implications because it includes customer demographics and payment details.
Our data protection service helps retailers identify and classify sensitive data throughout its lifecycle, including how it is stored, processed and transported across the organization. We assist our customers with:
- Establishing a data protection framework and strategy to help govern the management of sensitive data such as customer demographics, card data, shopping history, loyalty program, supplier information, pricing, marketing plans, and more.
- Conducting data flow assessments (DFA) to identify where and how sensitive data is stored and used. We also conduct data leakage risk assessments (DLRA) to identify breach vectors and risk.
- Integrating popular data protection technologies such as data leakage prevention (DLP), database activity monitoring (DAM), information rights management (IRM), data encryption, tokenization and masking/redaction technologies.
- Monitoring their data protection technologies to identify potential data breach incidents, manage consequences, improve effectiveness by fine-tuning rule bases, and moving rules to active protection from passive monitoring.
We provide services that not only help with compliance with PCI DSS, they help retailers automate GRC programs. Our risk and compliance services include:
- Our integrated governance, risk and compliance (GRC) management approach allows our customers to build a system that integrates all the compliance requirements to minimize audit fatigue.
- We help our customers through the journey of PCI DSS compliance by not only assessing the readiness levels (which is easy) but also helping in the readiness efforts. Our Compliance Manager solution helps our customers automate self-assessments.
- One of our specialties is IT GRC automation consulting using RSA Archer eGRC Suite. We support our customers through the lifecycle of blueprinting the solution, deploying it, integrating it with the organizations processes and systems, and managing it. Learn more about our risk and compliance management services.
Knowing they are big targets for hackers, retailers today have deployed technologies such as traditional SIEM, the newer security analytics engines, exfiltration detection, advanced malware detection, and data leakage prevention.
While these technologies are critical for the success of incident management programs, retailers can still struggle with implementing them effectively. That’s where Aujas can help. Our services are designed to help retailers gain the maximum return on their investments:
Risk & Compliance Advisory
- We assist our clients in establishing a more responsive incident management program by incorporating proactive and reactive processes. We enable our customers to define Indicators of Compromise (IoC), work with threat intelligence, and use it with their threat management program.
- We use our Correlation Library to provide an accelerated deployment of rules for various SIEM/SA/SI technology providers.
- We offer our solution for Analytics & Visualizations beyond SIEM/SA tools, to help security leaders see through the reporting fog and focus on what is critical.
- We design custom SIEM/SA solutions that go beyond the traditional security event analytics and integrate analysis and correlation capabilities to solve other issues such as identity fraud. Learn more about our security intelligence services.
Many retailers offer online and even mobile shopping to their customers. Some sell their products only in online stores. While this is convenient for customers, it presents big security challenges for retailers.
Our application security services allow our clients to assess and secure the infrastructure, and web and mobile applications:
- We help our clients design, develop and manage vulnerability management programs that leverage threat intelligence to anticipate and proactively mitigate vulnerabilities.
- We assess infrastructure, application and mobile application security by conducting a vulnerability assessment, penetration testing and code reviews. We don’t stop at scanning technology; we help you mitigate the risks found. Our security assessments meet and exceed the ASV standards set forth by PCI.
- We help our customers mitigate Advanced Persistent Threats with our APT risk mitigation service.
- We offer human behavior evaluation using our cloud-based Phishnix. This program not only assesses how susceptible people are to phishing attacks, it trains them to avoid attacks. Learn more about our threat management services.
Retail Giant Eliminates Data Leakage Threats
Our client is the world’s third largest retailer with a turnover of $115 billion (£72 billion), a presence in 12 countries with a market leader position in six. With over half a million employees, 6,600 stores, and a strong online business, this retailer is known for bringing best value, choice and service to millions of customers. The company also operates an extensive loyalty program that has operations similar to a bank.Download case study